2 lbs ground beef
1 tube ground pork sausage
1/2 green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic*
1 can each:
(if you don't want to use premixed packets, this is what I use:)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder (or you may add 1 small onion, minced to the veggies)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
*if you'd prefer not to use the garlic cloves above, leave them out and add 1/4 tsp garlic powder to your seasoning blend
2. Measure spices and add to crockpot on top of browned meat
3. Dice the bell pepper and garlic cloves, remove the skin from the zucchini and use a grater to grate it into strips (I cut mine into 1/4s before grating to make shorter strips), place in crockpot on top of meat and spices
4. Open canned veggies. Drain carrots and beans, add to crockpot. Do not drain the tomatoes, add to crockpot
(5. If you are browning the meat in halves, brown the second lb and add it to the crockpot on top of the veggie layer)
6. Stir to evenly mix meat, spices, and veggies. Then, set crockpot on low. This is good to go in a couple of hours, but can cook longer if needed (if cooking longer do not drain carrots)
Before serving, mix the contents of the crockpot one more time to make sure the flavor is even.
You may garnish with sour cream and/or grated cheese. I served ours with oven baked whole potatoes and parmesan garlic bread.
Makes approximately 7 servings
This recipe is a great way to sneak in veggies your child might not otherwise try (like zuchinni), and a new way to use boring canned carrots! Do you hide veggies in your child's meals? I always love to hear new ideas!