Amazon

Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Sinus Plunger: Essential Oils For Congestion

This Blend Will Get That Gunk Out Of Your Sinuses!

"Mom, my nose is so stuffy. I can't breathe!!"


A few nights ago one of my children complained of a stuffy nose. In the past we've tried OTC decongestants and even some prescribed ones. Nothing seemed very effective, or if it was it simply wasn't working for longer than a half hour. When he has congestion he is really chugged up.

For a few minutes I studied my stuffy nosed child as a I contemplated our options. "Maybe you can pick me up Breathe Right strips", he suggested. I was about to shrug and tell him I would add it to the list when it dawned on me...I had a whole basket full of oils. A quick perusal led me to peppermint and eucalyptus. I put a drop of peppermint on one hand, and a drop of eucalyptus on the other. Then I told him to rub them together and cup them over his nose. He took several deep breaths as his nose began to feel clearer.

The next day I decided to put together a blend for the next such occasion, and this is what I came up with:


The Sinus Plunger


Now, you can do as I first did and just use a drop of peppermint and eucalyptus, but this blend is mixed up with some fractionated coconut oil so it is diluted enough to rub a bit on the neck or chest. If you rub the blend on your hands the fco will make the essential oils linger a bit longer and you could just lay them beside your head on the pillow as you go to sleep.

My Blend For Sinus Plunger: Clear That Nose!


This recipe will need a 30 mL bottle, which will give you around 600 drops. It is almost a 50:50 blend with the fco.

80 drops lemon essential oil
80 drops rosemary essential oil
80 drops peppermint essential oil
80 drops eucalyptus essential oil
15 drops frankincense essential oil
25 drops copaiba essential oil

Blend the oils in the 30 mL bottle (using a dark glass such as amber or blue cobalt will help protect the integrity of the oils), then top with the fractionated coconut oil.

If you would prefer to not use a carrier oil because you want to diffuse it or have some other use in mind, the essential oils make up 18 mL or 360 drops of the blend.

Why Add Copaiba?



One of copaibas benefits is that it is an anti-inflammatory. This helps reduce the swelling and irritation in the body, in this case the nose and sinuses. It is also an analgesic which means it helps relieve pain. It can help ease the body aches that you may have if you've been congested and not resting well for a while. It can also help buffer a headache which is many times a side effect of congestion.

Copaiba Plant
(Image Borrowed From Allposters)


Does your family deal with sinus issues and stuffy noses? Congestion is the most common complaint from my kids whether it is an illness or an allergy. Leave me a comment letting me know your families home remedies!

2 comments:

  1. Looks very interesting! Especially this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clare. It reminds me of the Mentholatum my grandmother used to keep. Glad to have you stop by!

      Delete